Dear CMSD Community,
The Canon-McMillan School District is continuing to monitor the latest updates regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19) from the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO). In addition the district continues to monitor and seek direction from the Pennsylvania State Agencies.
On Thursday, March 12 Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf requested Pennsylvanians begin significant and decisive social distancing. He strongly discouraged people from attending recreational activities and the canceling or events with more than 250 people in attendance
Today, the Pennsylvania Department of Education informed school leaders from across the state they are seeking relief and waivers for school districts impacted by the virus. This is extremely important for school districts in meeting mandated requirements for attendance and accountability. Unfortunately, at this time, no relief outside of the typical exceptions is currently available. At this time, if Canon-McMillan School District closes school, it would have to make up the days at a later date and have all days made up by June 30, 2020.
In response to the recommendations from Governor Wolf and for the safety of our students, staff, and community, and out of an abundance of caution, the district will be closing from Monday, March 16, 2020 through Monday March 30, 2020. We will reevaluate prior to the return date of March 30, 2020 to determine if the school closure will be extended.
- External organizations will not be permitted to use district facilities, fields, and grounds. All previously approved and scheduled events within this timeframe are canceled. The District will contact organizations, who will be responsible for notifying their own stakeholders.
- All student and staff travel is canceled.
- Canon-McMillan athletic games and practices will be postponed or canceled.
- Out of district field trips will be postponed or canceled.
- All clubs, events and extracurricular actives will be postponed or canceled.
The district will continue to monitor the situation daily and provide updates as they are available.
Thank you for your continued support as we strive to maintain a healthy and safe environment for our students, staff, and community members.
Canon-McMillan School District